Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Gris Grimly Interview

Gris Grimly
September 16th, 2008
Questions by Dennis Matthews

Related: Screening of Cannibal Flesh Riot

1. How long have you been doing this kind of work and when did Mad
Creator start?

The Mad Creator, as in THIS Mad Creator started the day I was born. I’ve been drawing ever since I was old enough to hold a crayon. I would have to say the style started from that point and evolved with every influence that seeped into my brain. I’ve been working professionally since 2000. But Mad Creator Productions the company was established in 1998. When I started it, I promoted it like a small band with ground roots tactics. I started a mailing list by gathering info from publishers, record labels and other art based companies. I would then send out a Mad Creator postcard twice a year. I still do. I made stickers with my devil head logo to hand out and stick on open surfaces. I also made t-shirts with the devil head logo to sell. Anything to brand the name Mad Creator Productions.

2. What was the 1st project you did that made you think "Wow I could do
this forever!"?

Actually, I was working at a coffee house and painting on the side. I think that is the only time I ever thought “I could do this forever”. But I don’t work at a coffee house anymore so I guess I failed.

3. In a city like LA where networking is key, have ever been handed a
project from out of nowhere, you know felt like it was pure luck?

I don’t really network. But I would have to say everything that happens seems to be a part of a cosmic plan. Many projects that I have received or events that have occurred seem destined or as you say “pure luck”. But I wouldn’t call it luck. It is more like coincidences that we can’t explain.

4. Your friends are big fans of what you do and seem to do anything to
help out, Is it hard to balance the networking you have to do and those
good friends you have to keep? (How do you find the time?)

I don’t network. And I definitely do not put friendships in jeopardy to kiss someone’s ass or further my career.

5. Tell me about your fans, can you describe some of the more
unexpected types you've met?

They are all unexpected types.

6. Any strange run-ins at Comic Cons that you can't seem to forget?

Not really. You see many strange things at comic con and after a while it all just becomes wallflowers.

7. What's been the biggest change or event to happen most recently in
your work life?

I would have to say taking on film as an art form. I have only been dabbling in it for three years now but have become bitten. In 2005 I chose to produce and direct the short film “Cannibal Flesh Riot!” and went out there and did it. It is now a new art expression for me.

8. What's next for the Mad Creator?
I am working on a sequel to the Edgar Allan Poe book I illustrated. I should be done with it by now, but still have quite a few pages to do. It is scheduled to be released in the Fall of 2009. I also just recently directed a music video for the band Ghoultown starring Elvira. I am currently editing that for an October 08 release. But we plan on releasing it with some additional footage and a couple singles as a limited edition CD/DVD in the Spring of 09.

No comments: